Michael McDonald is an intellectual property and commercial lawyer who helps Australian entrepreneurs, established businesses and international operators position for growth, shelter from risk and structure for longevity.
Michael provides commercially driven legal and operational advice to high tech startups, mid-cap companies, private-public joint ventures, and many of Australia’s prominent corporate leaders, institutions, and industry bodies.
An insightful business advisor, Michael works in partnership with clients from day one to ensure their strategic objectives and ambitions, from startup to maturity, inform his every perspective.
A business owner and director with over 35 years of legal practise, Michael understands the commitment required to build and maintain momentum as companies and markets become increasingly complex and competitive.
Michael takes an active role in developing and expanding his clients' business, with a focus on offshore protection, commercialisation, and pre-sale restructures.
Michael’s exposure to global expansion, cross border, and multi-jurisdictional deals as a business owner, industry leader and Chairman has built the invaluable skill set that he brings to every mdp client.
Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Law, Monash University
- Chairman and shareholder of ICEE Containers, a manufacturer of world-first collapsible AirPop® and ColdFold® packaging systems
- Chairman of Softel Systems, a manufacturer of cybersecurity technology for telecommunication networks and critical national infrastructure
- Chairman of BAR Studio, an architecture and interior design firm for worldwide hotels and resorts
- Director and shareholder of Leighton O'Brien, a global fuel analytics software and field technologies provider
- Chairman of the Intellectual Property Law Committee at ITechLaw International
- Director of One Cancer Research and One Cancer Investment as trustees for the stakeholders of Oncology One
- Former President, Australia Philippines Business Council, and Honorary Consul General for the Republic of the Philippines in Victoria
Representative MattersActed for former CEO & COO, Australian Wheat Board (AWB) Royal Commission
- Intellectual Property
- Commercialising IP, including IP protection in Australia and internationally
- International expansion
- Market entry strategy
- Corporate structures
- Pre-transaction restructuring
- Business strategy
- Corporate advisory
- Capital raising
- Corporate leadership
- Advising on restraint of trade cases and Director oppression matters
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand (IPSANZ)
- Law Institute Victoria (LIV)
- Law Council of Australia
- ITechLaw International
- IR Global